White Artichoke Pizza
There’s nothing as addictive as an Artichoke when it comes to food. This is the conclusion I’m drawing after obsessing about them for weeks. It is not even full season yet but I can’t walk past them in supermarkets anymore, instead of buying 2, I now buy 3 jumbo chokes and I still can’t get enough.
This White Artichoke Pizza is a ‘remembered’ recipe from when I traveled through Northern Italy with my best friend. We stopped in Verona and I ate this pizza and never forgot about it. I am not known for being a Pizzaiolo as I believe Pizza is best when eaten in Italy where it gets baked in a big wood fire oven, but making Pizza at home can really work, this recipe proves it.
White Artichoke Pizza Recipe:
1. Clean and then simmer your Artichokes in lemon water until the petals around the base come off
2. Pluck off all the petals until you’re left with the softer purple ones. Put these aside, discard the hairy choke.
3. Clean the Artichoke heart and cut it into smaller pieces. Take a spoon and scrape the base off all the petals to make sure you don’t lose any of the good meat. Add all the meat to a bowl and mash with a fork.
5. In the meantime, start the pizza dough. Take 400g flour, 3/4 cube fresh yeast, 300ml warm water, olive oil and sea salt.
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, make a mould in the flour and add the water-yeast mix, stir in a little of the flour until the mix gets smooth and leave to rise for 20 min.
6. Once you can see bubbles on the surface of the yeast water flour mix, start kneading the dough into a pliable mass. Form a ball for each pizza and leave to rise. Once risen, roll out on a floured surface or use your hands to turn the pizza wheels.
7. Add finely grated Parmesan cheese to the Artichoke mix. Brush some olive oil onto the Pizza dough and spread the Artichoke on top. Make sure you add a decent amount.
8. Add Buffalo Mozzarella and the rest of the grated Parmesan cheese, salt, some white pepper. Bake in the oven at maximum heat for 10 minutes or until crispy. The topping tends to dry out, you can add a little olive oil to prevent this.
9. Take the pizza out of the oven and top with fried bacon rashers.
10. Make another Pizza with the Artichoke base, add the parmesan and some extra olive oil before you put it in the oven. Once baked and still hot, top it with the fresh Mozzarella, Artichoke hearts and finely cut Radicchio. Drizzle with lemon juice.